I was looking for a natural matte/satin finish for the Walnut so I went with Tried & True – Original Traditionnel. It’s food/environmentally safe, no VOCs, safe for skin, and made from renewable ingredients.
It contains Beeswax which offers some hardness and protection from water, and was perfect for a computer desk. The low odor/no vocs allowed me to finish it in my apartment as well. Ended up doing 3 coats, burnishing in-between each coat.
Wood was machine sanded, and then hand sanding up-to 220 before finishing. Put felt underneath the magnetic tray and computer monitor as added protection from scratches.
Huge thanks to my buddy Adrian Orozco for milling, assembling, and cutting everything! If you want a custom piece, use the link before to reach out:
This is the second filter I’ve helped out with and I’ve found that the Spark AR tool itself is pretty good, but the documentation is lacking. Not as much sample code out there either.
This year Ulta teamed up with the Google Cloud Chicago team to create a fun challenge for our first-ever hackathon! The hackathon was part of the Dare Mighty Things conference, if you’re unfamiliar with this great Chicago conference, check out http://daremightythings.co. McDonald’s co-sponsored the event and graciously hosted the hackathon at their Chicago headquarters – my dream of having unfeathered access to their fountain drink machines came to fruition!
We supplied the participants with multiple sample data files, representing our complete product catalog, store inventory, and store details and challenged them to create a voice-powered experience. The winners would receive up to 5 Google Stadia Founder’s Edition package.
Of the 53 teams involved, 15 chose to work on our challenge and we were delighted with the results. Some of the entries included: Google Assitant for Ulta, Product Recommendation for Ulta, Speech Analysis Platform to make Conversation Smarter.
There were also some pretty interesting team names: “Big Brother is Watching,” “I Like Chicken,” “Nuggets,” “Hopper”, “Ultrasist,” “Sushi Sahworma,” “Serving Looks,” “@therealDMI2019,” “ISU Seniors,” “Team Van,” and “Kangaroos”.
Using query params we can instruct Scene7 to construct a dynamic image for us. The above example creates a single composition from two images. You can see things like background color, opacity, image source, and size.
In the above example I’m making the middle layer slight smaller to maintain a safe area/margin. Scene7 will scale from center, but there is also an anchor point option if needed.
Use the resource below to get started. Some key callouts I learned in development:
add a debug refresh button to reload your extension’s content when updating html/js file
when making changes to the .jsx file, disable/enable the extension to see changes reflected
use defaults write com.adobe.CSXS.8 PlayerDebugMode 1 to side load an unsigned extension (make sure you restart/log out/or kill process for changes to take effect)
put your extension dir in /Users/$user/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions/ – if this path doesn’t exist you can create it
watch out for ruler units – ensure your logic considers the user’s ruler units before doing arithmetic. Some sample code I’ve seen and have used suggest doing:
origRulerUnitPrefs = app.preferences.rulerUnits; //save original
app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS; //set
app.preferences.rulerUnits = origRulerUnitPrefs; //restore original
I’ve been wanting to experiment with epoxy resin for awhile and I finally found some wildflowers from the local forest Preserve that I run in frequently. They made the perfect subject to create a balanced and visually stunning composition.
I also wanted to add a technical touch, so I embedded in the bottom layer of the epoxy a NFC chip. See the video below!
Fresh off of building PTSExplorer.com I had some inquires about building an adaption for a kiosk or exhibition. I was excited by the challenge and below is what I built in a night to show my vision of what that could look like.
The iPad app uses the didConnectNotification from UIScreen to detect when a secondary screen is connected, via HDMI or AirPlay. Once a second screen is detected at runtime I programmatically create another window with a root view controller from a storyboard.
One of my favorite things about the model train hobby is getting to experiment with my love for hardware and code. One day I was playing with a crossing system I bought from a big retailer and quickly became frustrated with its shortcomings, I literally had an “ah hah” moment when I realized I could create my own, pretty easily.
The video below describes in detail why I decided to build my own, and how I went about doing it. I go over different “activation methods” and why I chose to go with sonar over voltage or light.
One additional thing I did was add a BLE chip so I could control the whole system with my smart phone (luckily I know a good iOS developer to build the app).
Grossing Gates, Turnout, and Signal Bridge
Sonic sensors (HC-SR04)
NJI Crossing Gates (NJI 1164) & NJI dwarf
Adafruit Bluefruit LE UART Friend – Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)